Last week we took a look at crafting a killer offer for your business. This week we’ll be working on getting eyes on that offer, using a Lead Generation Magnet. So let’s jump right in and talk about…
…The Purposes of Your Lead Generation Magnet (LGM)
Here’s a quick list of the reasons that make having a LGM so valuable:
- It attracts response from exactly the right prospects
- It boosts the response to all of your advertising
- It gets prospects to willingly give you complete contact information when they respond to ads, mail, visit websites, etc.
- When it arrives, it immediately sets you and your business apart by looks alone.
- With a catchy, benefit-oriented title, it heightens interest in what you have to say.
- It positions you as an EXPERT, not just another salesman hawking a product.
- It creates the opportunity for you to sell in a vacuum – where the sole focus is on ONLY the information you provide.
- It can establish credibility with supporting evidence, testimonials, and useful information.
- It sets the “buying criteria” in the mind of the prospect… and points to YOU as being the very best possible alternative.
- It sets up the NEXT step in the marketing process by explicitly telling the prospect the action they need to take next.
Different Types Of Lead Generation Magnets
You’ve got a lot of options when it comes to creating an LGM. Here’s just a few:
- Free report (Hard copy sent through the mail.)
- Free report (Downloadable PDF)
- Series of online videos
- Downloadable MP3
- A book
- An e-book
- A teleseminar
- A webinar
- A seminar
- Combination of the above
- What to Put Into Your Lead Generation Magnet
First off, Give your prospects something of not only real value, but of extreme value. Something they look at and say, “Oh my gosh, I would have bought this!” Something that they look at and say, “If he’s giving away this information for free, can you imagine what is in his course?”
This is an old saying in selling called ABS: Always Be Selling.
I want you to change that mantra to: Yes, always be selling, but also always be giving value—always give real value.
When you do that it has a viral effect. You get something of great value, and you tell your friend about it. You go, “Hey, you have to go to this guy’s website. You won’t believe what he’s doing over here— what he’s giving away.”
Also, the prospect trusts you because what are they thinking? They’re thinking “this information is going to be garbage. I am not going to get anything of real value.” Then, when you actually get something of real value, you are blown away. Then they feel good about you, and they trust you, and they like you. And people who trust you and like you tend to buy more from you.
So make sure that you include useful and interesting information that does offer solutions to the key problems you’ve identified exist for the prospect. By doing so you position yourself as an expert with credibility in the areas the prospect is most interested in.
- The primary transformation you can enable in the life of the prospect – all due to the expertise, experience, and specific product/program/service you offer.
- Your story – what you’ve gone through that makes YOU uniquely qualified to create this LGM and the struggles you overcame to finally achieve the solution you needed.
- A specific call-to-action as to what you want the prospect to do next, now that they’ve gone through and reviewed the material you’ve provided.
Okay, now it’s time to lay the foundation for what you’ll put in your LGM.
Step 1: Know Your Outcome
When you create your LGM you should have one specific action that you want the prospect to take in mind. That is the outcome you want to achieve.
There are many goals you could have that you want them to do:
- Give your office a call to set up an appointment.
- Fill out a questionnaire and then have them fax that to you.
- Go to a website to make a purchase.
- Fill out and return a print order form.
But the bottom line is that you need define exactly what ONE action you want them to take. A confused prospect will never take positive action. You must be clear in your own mind as to what you want them to do before putting down anything into your LGM script.
So first, decide what you want them to do. In most cases, it will be to read the Sales Letter included with the LGM…
Step 2: Write Out YOUR Story
A critical, key element in building this relationship between yourself and your prospects is your story.
Having a great story that touches both the hearts and minds of your prospects is critical.
Sure, you can try to sell programs and services to people you don’t relate to and who don’t relate to you. But that is a guaranteed road to pain and frustration. Instead, you want to take people by the hand with whom you already share very much the same joys, fears, frustrations, and dreams.
Back when Dave Dee was selling programs to magicians, he used his story over and over again to build this relationship. He knew the challenges that other magicians faced because he experienced those exact challenges himself.
You have a story to tell too. And you need to put your story down on paper in a simple, direct, and emotionally compelling way. The key here with your core story, although you’re telling it about yourself, it must completely relate to what’s going on in the life of the listener.
You are one of them. The prospect must see or hear the story and says to themselves, “I got it, that’s me!”
That’s what makes this successful.
Your Story Must Include…
Here are some of the core elements that your story must include:
- Some pain, because if there’s pain involved so much the better. The pain of losing clients. Struggling with bills and debt. Working at a job you despised. Pile on the pain.
- Frustrating effort spent wasting time and money on stuff that didn’t work. Hammer home how tough it was and how much garbage you had to go through in your quest for success.
- A Eureka moment where you finally “got” what it takes to success. Only after huge investments of money, time, energy, pain, failures, etc. did you FINALLY uncover the real systems for success.
- A complete transformation to you. After applying what you finally discovered after painful trial and error, you’re now reaping the rewards and doing exactly what you wanted in a way that’s personally and professionally fulfilling.
Step 3: Choose 3-5 Important Challenges Facing Your Prospect
This is where you come up with teaching points you’ll cover in the LGM. As part of your research into your ideal customer you went through problems kept them awake at night, caused them pain, frustrated them daily… that kind of thing.
Get into their heads and come up with 3-5 problems that you can promise to solve with the information in your LGM.
Step 4: Provide 3-5 Solutions to Those Challenges
Now you need to nail down your solutions to these problems. And what you write here should perform multiple purposes:
- Actually provide a bit of value to them in solving their problem.
- Set the “Buying Criteria” in your favor… so when they see the sales letter, it’s clear that you are the one and only logical choice to makep in getting these problems solved!
- Point to specific features / benefits in your WIDGET that match up perfectly to solve these Challenges.
Step 5: Create a Killer Title for Your Lead Gen Magnet
The biggest secret to making your LGM as powerful as possible is to give it an appealing, benefit- oriented title and subtitle that makes a BIG Promise. For ideas look at the top selling books on the NY Times or USA Today best-seller lists… or go to Amazon and see what’s hot there.
For example, one free report Dan Kennedy created for his services was entitled: “How to Solve All Your Advertising, Marketing and Sales Problems – Once and For All!” Way better than simply saying, “Get my free report on marketing.”
The example LGM we provide with this program – from our extremely successful “Copy Confidential” marketing campaign – is a free report entitled: “The 7 Key Questions Every Copywriter You Hire MUST Be Able to Answer To Write Killer Direct Response Copy and Create Marketing Campaigns That Will Outsell The Pants Off Your Competition!”
So having a powerful, attention-grabbing title is critical. You’ll want to think up at least 7 different options for a KILLER title. Let them sit a day or so. Then nail down which one you think best.
If you’ve followed the above steps you should have laid the foundation for a really effective Lead Generation Magnet. Next week we’ll be continuing on this topic with some more detail on creating your magnet itself.
PS: Our Magnetic Marketing Fast Implementation Bootcamp’s are the only LIVE events dedicated to the principles of Magnetic Marketing. During this 2-day bootcamp, you will get hands-on assistance and focused training on turning your business into a 24/7/365 finely tuned machine attracting a flood of new customers, clients, and patients to your doorstep – reliably, predictably, and without fail.
This is unlike any event you’ve ever attended – this isn’t about filling your head with a bunch of pipe dreams and then sending you off on your way to struggle along on your own. This 2-day Bootcamp is designed start-to-finish to put in your hands EXACTLY what you need to IMPLEMENT from the principles of Magnetic Marketing so that your business will take off like a rocket!
So if you want to set up your business for success in 2020, register yourself for one of our Magnetic Marketing Bootcamps today. Head over to www.magneticmarketingbootcamp.com for more information now.